PDA

View Full Version : Sirc's Bragging Thread

Sirc
09-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Forgive me for doing this, but some of you may remember my oldest son, Sifi, way back when he played SS. I'm going to fill you in a bit on where he has gone since the old days.

He started college and was intent on becoming a Christian minister. He began school, and during the same time decided to marry his high school sweetheart. I was a bit worried about the marriage so young, but that's just me - he knew what he was doing and she's an amazing person. I'll admit it was a good decision; a choice which has continuously proven to be wise during their few years of marriage. They remain a strong and inseparable couple.

College didn't work out as well as planned. He wanted/needed to do something else with his life. He's always wanted to serve in some way. He tried to become a police officer, but couldn't. He tried a few other similar positions, but was always turned away.

He was turned away because he is colorblind. A completely short-sighted view by potential employers. What a waste of intelligence and talent. I think this hurt me as much as it hurt him.

But then! He applied to join the USAF. That was a reach, and I didn't have much hope. He was unwavering. And low and behold, the USAF had a few spots in intelligence spots where colorblindness wouldn't be an issue. But these spots are rare, and only the best recruits can even hope to achieve this. The competition is incredible, the classes are daunting and extremely demanding. And if you don't come out on top, you ain't getting in. And they don't care that you're taking these classes AND are running through boot camp at the same time.

He did it like a boss. Sifi called me this past weekend to let me know that he was being promoted to Senior Airman - 6 months early. It was because of his grades, and his performance as Airman 1st class (A1C), and his performance while in boot camp.

Did I mention that he was commander of his Black Rope drill team in boot camp? Basic training, taking specialty classes, and drilling practice all at the same time? No sleep - not even possible for an ordinary man.

And, in his spare time (ROFL), he is a photographer, and may become the official base photographer.

Attached is a self-portrait of my oldest son - Senior Airman Nicholas Williams.

And here is a link to his Deviantart (http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=5&q=headstrong3954#) page. You'll have to join to see his work I think, not sure.

EDIT: Some of his work is NSFW :)

JIMINATOR
09-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Congrats for your son. Looks to have a promising future ahead. Great photographs also, but I was disappointed to find you gave us the sfw link.... :)

Sirc
09-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Congrats for your son. Looks to have a promising future ahead. Great photographs also, but I was disappointed to find you gave us the sfw link.... :)

You have to change your Deviantart preferences to see NSFW images.

Bingo
09-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Jesus, I think I got out of breath just reading all the stuff he's doing. That's absolutely fantastic man!

Also, I looked through his pictures and obviously he's really got some serious skills there too. You've got a lot to be proud of man!

NightBreed
09-29-2011, 01:50 AM
:thumbs: Really nice post to read, Sirc...congrats to all of you out there !!! :)

Death Engineer
10-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Wow? That's really incredible. You've got to be one proud papa. I suspect you spent many nights wondering about his decisions. I had a similar story in terms of marrying young and having parents that weren't really sure that was a great idea as I hadn't finished school yet. Props to Sifi for finding something that fit his personality. Here's hoping their marriage is strengthened by the trials of his service in the military. Please give him our thanks for serving our country.

I think I was most shocked at the Christian minister part as you (Sirc) seem to be fairly antagonistic to Christian faith. Would you have been disappointed if that's where he ended up?

Sirc
10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
I think I was most shocked at the Christian minister part as you (Sirc) seem to be fairly antagonistic to Christian faith. Would you have been disappointed if that's where he ended up?

Absolutely not! I may not agree with his beliefs, but I would never try to sway him from what he chooses to do with his life. My wife and both my sons are practicing Christians.

I've never really meant to be "antagonistic" towards people with faith. I'm not a believer, and I will debate the subject, but I'm really not out to change anyone's minds. In fact, it would freak me out if I did, because I have nothing better to offer them.

Religion runs deep in my family. My dad co-ministered in a few churches in his younger days.

If you think that I think any less of you DE because you are a Christian, you are wrong. I've always liked and respected you and I've enjoyed our occasional religious discussions.
You are one of the few people here that can talk about it calmly.

I do believe that religious beliefs are a personal thing and shouldn't be pushed on others. And religion should definitely not be part of politics. Beyond that - believe what you believe and be happy. :)

EDIT: Also please remember that your only contact with me is through the interwebs forums. And I do have a rep for being, well, a jerk sometimes. Anyone who has ever played SS with me while on Teamspeak or Ventrilo will tell you that I'm actually a pretty nice guy. I hope. :)

JIMINATOR
10-05-2011, 06:34 PM
He lies, he is a jerk all the time...

:P

Death Engineer
10-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Nah, I didn't think you thought less of me (not that I'm worried too much what folks think of me, for better or worse, I'm just not that concerned about those kind of things). I just haven't had the opportunity to ask someone in your position how you felt about your kids when they take a different religious view.

I agree, the internets are probably not the best place to establish a character reference. However, what else do we have? <looks reminiscently at dust covered photo of Sirc on desk> ;)

I am mostly calm. I've had my angry moments though. I've destroyed a keyboard tray or 2 in my time. My wife will vouch that I've cooled as I've aged. Anyways...this thread is about Sifi. Congrats again.

PS. Grandchildren?

ME BIGGD01
10-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Congrats Sirc and congrats to your son. I think it's awesome your son has pushed forward and didn't allow himself to hold back as some may have in the same situation. Nothing makes a man more prouder than seeing he raised another man. Looks to me like you are witnessing some true gifts of what life has to offer and on the path to see many more. I am happy to hear this and wish him the best.

Die Hard
10-10-2011, 04:05 PM
He lies, he is a jerk all the time...

:PAnd he sounds gay :P