PDA

View Full Version : Flatscreens, DVI, and games

::: DARK PSI :::
03-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Guys, I was thinking about getting a 21" Ultra Sharp Flat screen monitor. Now it has the ability for DVI hookup and my video card allows for that as well.

Does anyone currently have a flat screen monitor hooked up to their video card via DVI. And if so how does it look in FPS games or any video game for that matter. Currently I am playing around with a 17" flat screen but do not have a video card with DVI hookup.

From what I saw, just plain old analog hookup is terrible in games. It is so damn blurry you cannot control the game.

Any takers on this question?

Mr Clean
03-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Over my head, sorry....

Morpheus
03-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Save your money and get four 17" CRT's, stack them and make it so it stretches the game across all four.

And still be out less money than getting one huge LCD. :shifty:

Grimmy
03-07-2003, 10:55 PM
are you hurting for space?? If not, stick with CRT. I think flat screens look nice, some are really sharp, but I think they are too slow for games. CRT's are much faster IMO atleast, and cheaper. Just think, space providing, you could get a 21" CRT for maybe $600, and then compare that to a 21" flat screen at well over a grand. Save your money, get a big CRT.

Just my $.02 worth. ;)

ME BIGGD01
03-07-2003, 11:08 PM
hey dark, regarding flat screens, i think you are reffering to lcd? if you are i would not advise it for games that require fast fps. even with dvi, it is hard for the pixels to keep up. i tried to play sam once on a 42" plasma and that also couldnt handle the frame rate. i also almost threw up becaus ethe characters were so big and it made me dizzy. i recently bought a 17.1 " lcd screen and although i can play sam, on some levels it just will not handle the rate. stick with good flat crt screens. the colors and everything else is just better. i am speaking from experience not reviews.

Death-Dude
03-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by ME BIGGD01@Mar 7 2003, 05:08 PM
hey dark, regarding flat screens, i think you are reffering to lcd? if you are i would not advise it for games that require fast fps. even with dvi, it is hard for the pixels to keep up. i tried to play sam once on a 42" plasma and that also couldnt handle the frame rate. i also almost threw up becaus ethe characters were so big and it made me dizzy. i recently bought a 17.1 " lcd screen and although i can play sam, on some levels it just will not handle the rate. stick with good flat crt screens. the colors and everything else is just better. i am speaking from experience not reviews.
That's interesting, as I had read reviews, but it's nice to get a hands-on report. They handle resolutions and refresh differently than CRT, don't they? Haven't read enough about them, as I wasn't too interested in a purchase, although my wife thinks she wants one.

grand master shinobi
03-08-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by TheRenegadeEncounter@Mar 7 2003, 09:35 PM
Save your money and get four 17" CRT's, stack them and make it so it stretches the game across all four.

And still be out less money than getting one huge LCD. :shifty:
if you can show me how to do that with 5 monitors across 3 vid cards id appreciate it

Morpheus
03-08-2003, 01:16 AM
uhh

I saw someone in Maximum PC pull it off, but i dont know. :angel:

Sirc
03-08-2003, 03:29 AM
I've heard LCD monitor suck for games. The image persistance last WAY too long. Having a computer that can do 100 fps is worthless when the monitor can only effectively refresh at 25-30 fps.

03-08-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by ME BIGGD01@Mar 7 2003, 07:08 PM
Ha tell me about BIGG. I was playing Sam on a LCD flat without DVI and I was about to puke from all the blurring. I was hoping the DVI would clear it up. Oh well.

I have a 21" CRT so I am still good. I just wanted to try out a flat screen. They look so cool... but if it sux for gaming, I see no need. Oh well.

ME BIGGD01
03-08-2003, 06:15 AM
i now use my lcd just for video editing and server. it saves space and electric which reall is the only benefit. whats the dpi of your 21"?

03-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ME BIGGD01@Mar 8 2003, 02:15 AM
i now use my lcd just for video editing and server. it saves space and electric which reall is the only benefit. whats the dpi of your 21"?

24 DPI I believe.

grand master shinobi
03-13-2003, 02:15 AM
ok i found out why i cant use the 3 vid cards... its my board... great ... oh well my p4t-e needs to be upgraded anyway... time to switch to abit i think though.

OUTLAWS The Machine
03-13-2003, 09:27 PM
You can get the LCD for surfing the web and use your 21" for gaming. :cool:

Slice
03-14-2003, 12:42 AM
They make Plasma screens that have 100mhz refresh rates now. I was going to buy one, until I heard about the silicon screens that should be out this year.

OUTLAWS Behind You?
03-14-2003, 01:01 AM
Ok, I'll byte, what's so good about Silicon screens? :WTF:

Slice
03-14-2003, 01:10 AM
It only touches on the LCD silicon displays subject but it is a great summary of what is to come.LInky Poo (http://physics.iop.org/Policy/v_production/v8.html)

OUTLAWS The Machine
03-14-2003, 01:59 AM
:hmmm:

OUTLAWS Behind You?
03-14-2003, 02:54 PM
ferroelectric liquid crystals placed directly on a silicon integrated circuit.I guess this is what you were referring to. LCD on silicon chips. :hmmm: This will be faster? It didn't say.

Slice
03-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Behind You?@Mar 14 2003, 09:54 AM

ferroelectric liquid crystals placed directly on a silicon integrated circuit.I guess this is what you were referring to. LCD on silicon chips. :hmmm: This will be faster? It didn't say.
From other articles I have read about the technology the silicon circuit screens will support much higher resolutions and be much faster firing the pixels. Some companies are already using the technology in their PDA and handhelds. Another interesting tidbit about the technology is how it virtually eliminates H-MOIRE and V-MOIRE. So the scan lines run nearly perfect horizontally and vertically. (when I say nearly I mean like almost exact, not visible to the human eye)