PDA

View Full Version : Life expectancy of forums?

Nitro
06-29-2012, 07:50 PM
What do you think is the future of forums as a way of people interacting with each other on the internet? Forums used to be the place where everyone converged and participated but with the rise of new networks like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc it seems more and more people are moving towards these kinds of social sharing sites. More and more sites are noticing just why such sites are gaining in popularity and are modifying the way people interact on their sites as well and are transitioning accordingly. The transition revolves around social sharing feeds where somebody posts something, be it a photo, video, or commentor a combination, which is then replied by others in the same fashion. Given this trend, do you feel forums are going to go disappear slowly and be replaced or do they have staying power because of certain charachteristics that are not replicable in these new social sharing methods?

JIMINATOR
06-30-2012, 05:00 AM
forums, to really be successful need to be linked to something else as a means of generating an influx of new users to continually replace people that slowly drop out. Lacking that it helps if they don't sabotage themselves through behaviors of the admins. Not sure what can be done for GM to get people here.

FUS1ON
07-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Whip out your checkbook/s, I'm sure something can be arranged with us and then you can do and run it any way you want.

Death Engineer
07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I do suspect that if you look at traffic in forums over time, it is declining. It is another medium that has gone through the product life-cycle curve. I actually think twitter and facebook aren't too far behind forums and blogs. I think one of the things that has hurt forums in general is that many of them do not scale well for mobile browsing. Having said all of that, I suspect forums will be around for a long time. I just don't expect to see them expanding so rapidly without a more concentrated critical mass of folks with a unified viewpoint/hobby/opinion set.

ME BIGGD01
07-03-2012, 08:09 AM
I think it all comes down to technology really. It relates to the flow of information and how fast anyone needs to get it. Just like our computers, I would bet the majority of us aren't in front of one as much these days as we use to be 5 years ago. As for a forum like this, it is very hard for it to be active because of what it actually is and what it was created for. If you think back to when this forum was active, there was a purpose to come here. There was reason and that reason was what was consuming each and every one of us atthat time. Many have grown up and are dealing with life the ebst they can. Some of us are older and on to bigger and better things which occupy our time. And then some are really old and have more time in their daily lives to do anything they want.

If you look back at this forum, there was a major decline in activity when people got bored of the reason it was originally created. I think the time has changed not just for those of us that have always been here but society has changed as well very quickly. If we ask ourselves why we bother to still come here, I would respond with I met some really good people because of this site. Some of those people I have become close with to where they are part of my family. I have always had GM on my IE bar and pop in once in awhile to see what's new with anyone. It's a weird connection but a thing I will probably do until the those paying for it decide it's not worth the time or money any more. I had some good times here so I wont forget that regardless how often I visit.

As far as the Social networks these days compared to forums, it is my opinion that they are completely different. I mean when you join a forum, you discuss the to what the point of the forum is. You wouldn't discuss video games in a other type of forum. When it comes to Social Networks, they are usually for friends and family that you see daily or chat with. As an example, you wouldn't friend someone who just joined GM unless you knew about him where as a forum, you all have a right to discuss a particular topic as long as you follow the fules of such forum. You know the way I always have :-).

I kind of like this topic because it relates to something I had on my mind just a few weeks ago and still on it. The flow of information is faster than ever and for those of us who have kids it seems to me like it's getting way out of control. I know that sounds weird but I see these kids and they have so many ways to communicate with so many people that you just have to wonder when they actually lose the normal sense of talking to people in a real life. I just feel somehow there will be something lost from it all. I see it daily even with adults. Technology is great but it doesn't matter how great it is compared to how it is used. I just think that reality is being lost from many people. You see people on their cell phones texting, facebook, twitter more and more every where. I saw a picture on Face book yesterday that was so true regarding people dont even ring the doorbell any more, they text you that they are there. I see things going downhill regardless of how good and advanced the technology is.

No matter what, if it's on the Internet, chances are it's bullshit. That girl in the picture is showing you her best picture she's got from 10 yrs ago. That person partying and living it up is broker than broke and is being supported by his mother still.

Sirc
07-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Whip out your checkbook/s, I'm sure something can be arranged with us and then you can do and run it any way you want.

It's things like that that are pretty counter-productive for GM.

Out of all the admins here, Grimmy is the only one that seems to put forth any effort to keep things going. He keeps the forums updated, he brings in new features, etc. Good for him. Bingo has also posted some content to OT.

For the rest of you - would it kill you to post something of interest on OT once or twice a week? It might get some conversation going. Or do you not even care anymore?

Nitro
07-08-2012, 01:48 AM
I think it all comes down to technology really. It relates to the flow of information and how fast anyone needs to get it. Just like our computers, I would bet the majority of us aren't in front of one as much these days as we use to be 5 years ago. As for a forum like this, it is very hard for it to be active because of what it actually is and what it was created for. If you think back to when this forum was active, there was a purpose to come here. There was reason and that reason was what was consuming each and every one of us atthat time. Many have grown up and are dealing with life the ebst they can. Some of us are older and on to bigger and better things which occupy our time. And then some are really old and have more time in their daily lives to do anything they want.

If you look back at this forum, there was a major decline in activity when people got bored of the reason it was originally created. I think the time has changed not just for those of us that have always been here but society has changed as well very quickly. If we ask ourselves why we bother to still come here, I would respond with I met some really good people because of this site. Some of those people I have become close with to where they are part of my family. I have always had GM on my IE bar and pop in once in awhile to see what's new with anyone. It's a weird connection but a thing I will probably do until the those paying for it decide it's not worth the time or money any more. I had some good times here so I wont forget that regardless how often I visit.

As far as the Social networks these days compared to forums, it is my opinion that they are completely different. I mean when you join a forum, you discuss the to what the point of the forum is. You wouldn't discuss video games in a other type of forum. When it comes to Social Networks, they are usually for friends and family that you see daily or chat with. As an example, you wouldn't friend someone who just joined GM unless you knew about him where as a forum, you all have a right to discuss a particular topic as long as you follow the fules of such forum. You know the way I always have :-).

I kind of like this topic because it relates to something I had on my mind just a few weeks ago and still on it. The flow of information is faster than ever and for those of us who have kids it seems to me like it's getting way out of control. I know that sounds weird but I see these kids and they have so many ways to communicate with so many people that you just have to wonder when they actually lose the normal sense of talking to people in a real life. I just feel somehow there will be something lost from it all. I see it daily even with adults. Technology is great but it doesn't matter how great it is compared to how it is used. I just think that reality is being lost from many people. You see people on their cell phones texting, facebook, twitter more and more every where. I saw a picture on Face book yesterday that was so true regarding people dont even ring the doorbell any more, they text you that they are there. I see things going downhill regardless of how good and advanced the technology is.

No matter what, if it's on the Internet, chances are it's bullshit. That girl in the picture is showing you her best picture she's got from 10 yrs ago. That person partying and living it up is broker than broke and is being supported by his mother still.

Agreed 1000%

Sirc
07-08-2012, 06:39 PM
jeez, you guys in nursing homes yet? :P

Marz, I've seen your youtube videos and I'm not impressed. So you captured a few lucky shots - big deal. If you want to go 1v1 with me on any game of your choice then let me know and you can be damn sure that I won't show up. * Head Shot! *

Nurse! More orange juice! And a fresh diapy please!

JIMINATOR
07-09-2012, 05:07 AM
They say there is nothing like waking up in the morning and having a good pee and a big dump. The problem is in remembering to get out of bed first...

FUS1ON
07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Sirc you are right about Grimmy & Bingo. All I did was put an offer out there for anyone that is interested and you have to start with your SOP drama crap and as usual taking opportunities to take digs at some of us that you don't care for .... Don't make it out to be more than it was.

Sirc
07-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Sirc you are right about Grimmy & Bingo. All I did was put an offer out there for anyone that is interested and you have to start with your SOP drama crap and as usual taking opportunities to take digs at some of us that you don't care for .... Don't make it out to be more than it was.

Well. Then I humbly apologize if I misunderstood your intentions. And honestly, there aren't any of you that I don't care about, nor did I mean to take a dig at anyone. I was simply trying to keep things constructive.

NightBreed
07-10-2012, 11:58 PM
They say there is nothing like waking up in the morning and having a good pee and a big dump. The problem is in remembering to get out of bed first...

aahahaaha!! True !!!!

Grimmy
07-12-2012, 02:32 AM
If someone wanted to take the ball and run with it, I'd be fine with that. I can help in what I can, but I just don't have the time and resources to bring traffic and such. I've had one person contact me about getting things rolling, but it was right before I went on vacation, so I didn't have a lot of time to think about it. They were busy as well, till this fall.

Anyways, I am up for pretty much everything. I just try to maintain and keep this site here, as there's a lot of history here, and well I did help pay for this site and forums software, I'd like to see it being used, even if it's just people reading over posts and not posting.

PM me if you have any ideas or if you want to try to take the ball n roll with it. We can work something out.

Ra\/en
07-12-2012, 06:33 PM
I still come here every once in a while to lurk and see how things are going. I enjoy the nostalgia. I'm not so sure what could be done to introduce new traffic here, but I appreciate those who keep things up and running. :)

Grimmy
07-13-2012, 01:12 AM
I still come here every once in a while to lurk and see how things are going. I enjoy the nostalgia. I'm not so sure what could be done to introduce new traffic here, but I appreciate those who keep things up and running. :)
ZOMG, who let the long haired hippies in!?!?! haha How ya been man? Long time no see. You didn't lose your hair yet to balding..............did you? :P

Ra\/en
07-15-2012, 02:59 AM
HAHA! good to see you Grimmy.

I have most of my hair still. I'd say I have 90% of what I had when I was 17. I'm 27 now.

Bingo
08-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Man I suck. Quit trying to toss me any props. Lol

But seriously, I think Forums in general have indeed been eclipsed by things like Facebook and twitter. Forums used to be an easy way for people to stay in touch. Remember, they grew out of Bulliten Boards which were the electronic version of just that - community boards.

Now that other means have made things easier, more mobile, more immediate the need for forums/boards has somewhat been subjugated. Not entirely, since boards are still more of a long-running dialogue but a large part of the need is now met by dozens of other things.

Grimmy
08-08-2012, 09:34 PM
I use several forums daily, of several different topics.

Dangerous Dan
08-10-2012, 04:16 AM
This is the first forum post I've made in over a year, I think this theory holds truth...

Death Engineer
08-13-2012, 05:37 PM
This is the first forum post I've made in over a year, I think this theory holds truth...
Sadly it's the last you'll make for another 32 years until just prior to your accidental drowning. [ominous music]

BURTON89
08-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Not exactly sure but I'll pick a forum over facebook and twitter any day.

Bingo
08-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Yeah don't get me wrong - I by no means think forums in general are a thing of the past. They most certainly have a place. If nothing else, like I said before they offer a place for a much more detailed and on-going conversation style than anything else.

I just think that since they are no longer the sole means of internet communication they aren't as heavily used unless they are a specific type of community AND they have a large regular user-base.

Zed
08-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Wow, I was just thinking about this forum just to look at how it was doing, Lots of familar names. I was Looking back at all the old games I use to play, Serious Sam, Counterstrike, etc ... I really did enjoy this forums and the people I met.

Reviving these forums is going to take a lot of work advertising.

It's strictly a game site so there would have to be constant updates about new games to lure in new members.

Ra\/en
08-18-2012, 08:15 PM
This site has a great layout and a good community. There is just no big pul for new people to come here.

Speedsweeper
08-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Hey folks long time no see. So many familer faces still here. Is anyone still playing Sam?

Die Hard
08-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Hey Guys.

I'm one of the guilty Admins Sirc refers to. Remember though, there were plenty of times we had our work cut out when bots and fools were trolling this site with or kinds of unsuitable posts. Let alone all the name change applications which were prevalent at one time. I nearly bought this site a few years back too, only personal circumstances and lady luck prevented it.

I've been a member here for nearly ten years and know most of you very well in a cyber sense. But it was because of a pc game and a whole lot of time on my hands that brought me here and let me stay. Now things are very different and I simply don't have the time or the inclination to post here anymore. It's not because I don't like this place, I love it. Hell I'm even friends with BIGGs on FB these days!

I'll keep coming back to look and sneek around in the corners and even post occasionally. And don't forget if any of you freaks are in the UK I'll have a pint of beer on the house waiting for you.

EXEcution
08-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Not exactly sure but I'll pick a forum over facebook and twitter any day.

..says the guy with a post count of 2.

JUST KIDDING! Welcome, tell all your friends about GM!

DON'T LEAVE!!!!

I agree Bingo, forums are still widely used. Especially for technical things. I find more that half of the answers I need for my job as a programmer on forums. Also, gaming forums have lots of good, in-depth discussion that you typically don't see on sites like Facebook. Plus it would be damn near impossible to have a thread with any sort of depth on Twitter...

FUS1ON
08-29-2012, 01:49 AM
^^^ Agreed, There are a bunch of forums that I go to for my other interest like ATVs or Firearms, you just can't get the responses or feed back on Facecrack that you can on forums. Sammy died off, our peeps scattered into various games and fragmented our community and PC gaming is way down compared to what it once was. Consoles are the thing now and we just didn't turn the corner when we should have to stay on top of it.

EXEcution
08-30-2012, 02:51 AM
^^^ Agreed, There are a bunch of forums that I go to for my other interest like ATVs or Firearms, you just can't get the responses or feed back on Facecrack that you can on forums. Sammy died off, our peeps scattered into various games and fragmented our community and PC gaming is way down compared to what it once was. Consoles are the thing now and we just didn't turn the corner when we should have to stay on top of it.

Ah! You changed your name. Now I don't know who you are...

For every minute I spend on Facebook, I probably spend 3-10 minutes more on a forum, blog post, or actual article. Facebook just doesn't have much practical use except for events and photos.

As for PC gaming, I still don't have a console in my apartment save for a PS2 which I mostly used as a DVD player.. PC is still my main gaming machine. I play Diablo 3, CS:GO and several other Steam games. Sure some of those other games are available on consoles (like Batman: Arkham City which I loved), but the experience is better on my PC.

Nitro
08-30-2012, 04:22 AM
Ah! You changed your name. Now I don't know who you are...

For every minute I spend on Facebook, I probably spend 3-10 minutes more on a forum, blog post, or actual article. Facebook just doesn't have much practical use except for events and photos.

As for PC gaming, I still don't have a console in my apartment save for a PS2 which I mostly used as a DVD player.. PC is still my main gaming machine. I play Diablo 3, CS:GO and several other Steam games. Sure some of those other games are available on consoles (like Batman: Arkham City which I loved), but the experience is better on my PC.

I have a confession to make. In my 25 years on this planet, I have never owned a gaming console.

Ra\/en
08-31-2012, 03:09 AM
I have a confession to make. In my 25 years on this planet, I have never owned a gaming console.

That's impressive. Do you feel like you have missed out on some of the classics? Like Mario/Zelda/final fantasy etc?

If I had the money and time, I would keep an up to date gaming pc. way better.

Nitro
09-05-2012, 03:40 AM
That's impressive. Do you feel like you have missed out on some of the classics? Like Mario/Zelda/final fantasy etc?

If I had the money and time, I would keep an up to date gaming pc. way better.

I don't think I have since I have played all of those, just as ROMs through emulators using my trusty gamepad :)

I have played consoles at friends houses though. One thing I always thought was interesting was that after becoming so used to how fast I had sharp turning settings on in Sam and Q3A E+ when I was at a friend's house playing some FPS like Halo or what not, I got incredibly bored and stopped playing because the turning was as slow as molasses. I also found that the mouse is much more accurate in turning for me than those little swivel sticks on controllers.

Dangerous Dan
09-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Forums are best used when in university and procrastinating or seeking a temporary refuge from the perils of that next big paper or exam. Hence RaVen's return :P

Ra\/en
09-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Forums are best used when in university and procrastinating or seeking a temporary refuge from the perils of that next big paper or exam. Hence RaVen's return :P

Haha. You certainly are correct. :D My forum usage goes up around exam time. Lately, that has been almost all the time.

Death Engineer
09-24-2012, 06:16 PM
I don't miss those days at all!

Bingo
09-26-2012, 01:15 AM
I miss every day! Or something. Who knows?