PDA

View Full Version : Virus alert

Slice
03-10-2003, 11:19 PM
A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed. This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored.

This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title "A Card For You".

As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened, the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday, in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself.

So...DON'T OPEN ANY MAILS WITH SUBJECT: "A VIRTUAL CARD FOR YOU."
As soon as you get the mail, DELETE IT!!!!! DO NOT OPEN IT!!!!!
EVEN IF YOU KNOW THE SENDER!!!!!

Please pass this mail to all of your friends and everyone in your address book.
Forward this to everyone in your address book.

I'm sure most people, like myself, would rather receive this notice 25 times than not at all.

Dissectional
03-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Hoax....

Slice
03-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Dissectional@Mar 10 2003, 06:31 PM
Hoax....
Ha you are right it is a hoax. Sorry everyone one of my friends sent this email to me, so I thought it was legit, so did he aparently. :rolleyes: LINKY (http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=98893)

FlameRush
03-11-2003, 12:08 AM
Whoa, thats serious, I better tell my dad.

Slice
03-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by VS BloodScream@Mar 10 2003, 07:08 PM
Whoa, thats serious, I better tell my dad.
No it isn't it is fake.

Elessar
03-11-2003, 04:28 AM
i classify this supposed HOAX as cyber terrorisim in my book

OUTLAWS Tip
03-11-2003, 05:30 AM
In addition to using anti-virus and keeping it updated, I have contact listed as !000. This gets listed as my first contact. If I had a virus that was using my contact list I would get an error message because it couldn't be delivered would list the contact as !000. A relative told me about it and it seemed like a nice way to know I am not sending out anything to anyone else. I've never had a virus, but sure wouldn't want one, and wouldn't want to be responsible for sending one to others.

A friend of mine who used AOL switched providers and asked me to come over and set up his new email. I set up Outlook Express for him and then sent and email to check if he could send and recieve email. I looked and two email came in immediately. The first was one that I sent, the second was a virus, as I remembered the name of the virus. I deleted it, emptied his trash and went right to McAfee and ran their online trial. It found the rest of the virus and removed it. That convinced my buddy to purchase some Anti-virus and keep it updated in the future. It was funny as it only worked through Outlook and was waiting in his system to be activated.

:hmmm:

Gun Element
03-11-2003, 05:55 AM
I heard of it before, I wasnt sure what to say, but now I know.

U R LYING FATHER!!!!!!:P :P

Slice
03-11-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Gun Element@Mar 11 2003, 12:55 AM
I heard of it before, I wasnt sure what to say, but now I know.

U R LYING FATHER!!!!!!:P :P
? Come to the dark side son. :rofl: Haven't a clue what you're talking about. :P

Gun Element
03-11-2003, 06:22 AM
lol. The phone started to ring so I quickly typed it out.

The point was that my dad told me the exact same thing, and now that I know it aint true then he was lying to me. :wacko:

Gun Element
03-11-2003, 06:23 AM
Or maybe he doesnt know that it aint true hmmmm. :unsure:

SIFI
03-12-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS Tip@Mar 11 2003, 12:30 AM
In addition to using anti-virus and keeping it updated, I have contact listed as !000. This gets listed as my first contact. If I had a virus that was using my contact list I would get an error message because it couldn't be delivered would list the contact as !000. A relative told me about it and it seemed like a nice way to know I am not sending out anything to anyone else. I've never had a virus, but sure wouldn't want one, and wouldn't want to be responsible for sending one to others.

A friend of mine who used AOL switched providers and asked me to come over and set up his new email. I set up Outlook Express for him and then sent and email to check if he could send and recieve email. I looked and two email came in immediately. The first was one that I sent, the second was a virus, as I remembered the name of the virus. I deleted it, emptied his trash and went right to McAfee and ran their online trial. It found the rest of the virus and removed it. That convinced my buddy to purchase some Anti-virus and keep it updated in the future. It was funny as it only worked through Outlook and was waiting in his system to be activated.

:hmmm:
hey thats a good idea, im doing my address book so ill do that now