PDA

View Full Version : Corsair's TwinX DDR

FUS1ON
03-19-2003, 04:56 AM
Something to make you go Hmmm :hmmm:
Dual DDR vs. TwinX DDR - Is it really worth it to you? :hmmm:

Before you answer, Here's a little background NFO, some price comparisons and a review to help you make up your mind.
Corsair's Announcement (http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/PR_twinx.html) dated January 13, 2003
Example prices from Pricewatch:
Generic PC2700 DDR 512MB 333Mhz (part # unknown) x 2 = $106
Corsair PC2700 DDR 512MB 333Mhz (CMX512-2700LL) x 2 = $292
Corsair PC2700 DDR 1GB 333Mhz (TWINX1024-2700LL TWINX) x 1 = $284 (This includes 2 matched 512MB sticks)
Tech PC TwinX DDR Review (http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/twinx-1.php)

After reading the review and if I had a nForce board, I would prob'ly say so, But that price is still a little tough to swallow. :blink:

Death-Dude
03-24-2003, 03:47 AM
Geil 1GB PC3200 Dual DDR Kit (http://www.pimprig.com/modules.php?s=&name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=115)

Another 'kit' for getting that dual-DDR thang goin'.

http://www.pimprig.com/images/reviews/geiltwin-dualchannel.jpg

JIMINATOR
03-24-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by OUTLAWS SHOGUN@Mar 19 2003, 04:56 AM
Something to make you go Hmmm :hmmm:
Dual DDR vs. TwinX DDR - Is it really worth it to you? :hmmm:

Before you answer, Here's a little background NFO, some price comparisons and a review to help you make up your mind.
Corsair's Announcement (http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/PR_twinx.html) dated January 13, 2003
Example prices from Pricewatch:
Generic PC2700 DDR 512MB 333Mhz (part # unknown) x 2 = $106
Corsair PC2700 DDR 512MB 333Mhz (CMX512-2700LL) x 2 = $292
Corsair PC2700 DDR 1GB 333Mhz (TWINX1024-2700LL TWINX) x 1 = $284 (This includes 2 matched 512MB sticks)
Tech PC TwinX DDR Review (http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/twinx-1.php)

After reading the review and if I had a nForce board, I would prob'ly say so, But that price is still a little tough to swallow. :blink:
I wasn't impressed. the problems with the benchmarks is that they only show
the top of the graphs. 193 is not that much more than 190 esp @ the cost.
The quake benchmarks were more impressive in overclocked mode, if
you do that fine, otherwise you may be faster with 2X the cheaper memory...

GreatWhite
03-24-2003, 07:32 AM
Sometimes your computer can leack memory with cheap DDR's, so I tent to go for the ones with the reasonable price..

And i'd say those were a reasonable price..

The TwinX I like though... :jammin:

JIMINATOR
03-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by GreatWhite@Mar 24 2003, 07:32 AM
Sometimes your computer can leack memory with cheap DDR's, so I tent to go for the ones with the reasonable price..

And i'd say those were a reasonable price..

not sure what you mean by leaking memory, that is an os issue associated with winME and below,
memory problems will usually result in parity errors and so forth.
the samsung memory that they compared against has a good reputation, but it is not
overclockable as is the corsair
the twinx thing is a marketing ploy, it really only applies to motherboards with
the nvidia chipset,
so if that is what you have, and you overclock it, then go for it. If however you are buying
for the future (to prevent obsoleteness), then no. Newer/faster memory technologies
are always coming out so the stuff will not last...

GreatWhite
03-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR+Mar 24 2003, 02:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JIMINATOR @ Mar 24 2003, 02:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--GreatWhite@Mar 24 2003, 07:32 AM
Sometimes your computer can leack memory with cheap DDR&#39;s, so I tent to go for the ones with the reasonable price..

And i&#39;d say those were a reasonable price..

not sure what you mean by leaking memory, that is an os issue associated with winME and below,
the samsung memory that they compared against has a good reputation, but it is not
the twinx thing is a marketing ploy, it really only applies to motherboards with
the nvidia chipset,
so if that is what you have, and you overclock it, then go for it. If however you are buying
for the future (to prevent obsoleteness), then no. Newer/faster memory technologies
are always coming out so the stuff will not last... [/b][/quote]
What I meant by leacking memory was they somethimes - with some OS, and low processor (not to date) - they start to think like its a free computer and go put the memory elsewhere - well away from your RAM chip anyway...

If ya get what I mean... :shifty:

Death-Dude
03-25-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by JIMINATOR+Mar 24 2003, 08:54 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JIMINATOR @ Mar 24 2003, 08:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--GreatWhite@Mar 24 2003, 07:32 AM
Sometimes your computer can leack memory with cheap DDR&#39;s, so I tent to go for the ones with the reasonable price..

And i&#39;d say those were a reasonable price..

the nvidia chipset,
are always coming out so the stuff will not last... [/b][/quote]
There are some intel boards that do it, too. The dual stick is a bit of a ploy, can&#39;t blame &#39;em for trying a new way at selling, especially when it helps you sell two instead of one, but it is nice to know that, if you are going to do it, the system will have perfectly matched sticks chosen specifically for the dual-channel ability; a lot better than getting another stick to go with what you have, and find out the spec is slightly different and there is a problem, I suppose. I&#39;d read an article questioning how much it actually helps real-world performance, and had some benchmarks that showed little difference between the single and dual-mode setups, but there are also stats showing nice boosts. I could see how some apps might really benefit, and others less so.